Conditions of Use
The Collections Australia Network (CAN) provides a range of free online services. Use of these services must not jeopardise the resources themselves, the activities of others using these resources, or the reputation and/or integrity of the website. All users must comply with this policy. The improper use of our services could jeopardise small to medium collecting institutions (SMCs), CAN and the activities of others.
CAN users must comply with the following standards:
- All users must understand their responsibilities in relation to CAN.s resources.
- CAN resources are to be used effectively, in ways that comply with legal and ethical standards and publicly accepted standards of interpersonal interaction.
- Copyright and intellectual property legislation are to be respected.
- The security of CAN.s resources is to be maintained.
- Online resources, such as e-mail and webpages, are to be used appropriately.
Unlawful or inappropriate use
It is your responsibility to ensure that your use of computers and the Internet complies with relevant International, State, Territory and Australian Government laws at all times. You are also prohibited from engaging in activities which, while not unlawful, are deemed by CAN to be inappropriate or unacceptable.
Copyright and other intellectual property rights
You must not make any unauthorised reproductions of material protected by copyright, or use audio-visual items in which copyright subsists. Intellectual Property Rights remain with the owner of the material and must not be used without the owner.s permission.
Access and security
You must not engage in any activity that may reasonably be anticipated to cause damage to CAN.s hardware or software or to anyone else.s equipment. Precluded activities include but are not limited to the downloading, creation or transmission of messages, attachments, data files or software that contain a virus. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to any information resources, systems or networks or interfere with another user's work. System files, system configurations, folders and other technical data must not be altered.
E-mail and the Internet are not necessarily secure and confidentiality may be compromised by unintended redistribution of e-mail or by the inadequacy of current technologies to protect against unauthorised access. Caution must be exercised in communicating personal or sensitive information by email or entering it on this website.
CAN has the right to monitor your use of the CAN website and may do so at any time without notice.
If you are found engaging in activity contrary to this Conditions of Use policy, your site access privileges may be suspended. If you are suspected of engaging in activity contrary to law, your access privileges will be suspended and you may be referred to the proper authorities.
Links to External Websites
Generally, CAN will consider linking to sites that :
- Provide information relevant to our objectives.
- Provide useful information, products, or services to our visitors.
CAN does not link to:
- Personal web sites.
- Web sites selling merchandise unrelated to its services.
- Web sites that present material unfit for children and/or inappropriate material.
- Unmoderated interactive sites (chat rooms, interactive gaming, live video or web cams, etc).
All corporate/for-profit web site links are carefully considered by us on a case by case basis.
Last revised: 29 April 2005